Poetry reading for refugee on Wolrd poetry day (21th March)
By Rati Saxena, Kritya
Kritya, a literary trust from India joined the word poetry event “A Poem For Refugees” on 21 March 2016 along with WPM and all other important organizations of the world.
Kritya organized the event in the five cities of India, From North most to south with the support of our friends.
* * *
1. The first event was organized by SANMUKH Displaced writers forum from Jammu, the organizer poet Agnishekhar a number of poets and poetry lovers took part, as most of poets suffered the pain of leaving their own land, so this day was very close to their life. Most of the poets like Agnishekhar, Brijnath Betab, Maharaj Krishn Santoshi, kshama kowl, Nirmal Vinod, Aruna sharma, Yogita Yadav and Veena Pandit Etc, read thier poems and also discussed on the theme.
* * *
2. The second even took part in the Bagbahara, In Chattisgarh, Organized by Sankalp Sahitya Manch alon with Kritya and WPM. This is a small town with lots of powerful poets and writers. They read not only their poetry but the poetry around the world on the given theme,
Most of them were expresing of the pain of Refugees
The organiner Rajat Krishna him self is a poet. said, though our body, which we see with life are not less than dead, better are they who get at least cufin in his own place.
* * *
3. In the Delh the poetry reading was organized By Meraki , at India Get by organizer Rashmi Bhardwaj. the place for poetry reading was chosen as India get, where a number of young poets and poetry lovers read poetry. I am sure that the visitors at India get also became the part of the pain and suffering of the people, for whom these poets were reading.
* * *
4. The forth Poetry reading held in Palakkad
World Poetry Day (with the running theme of Refugees) was celebrated on 21st March, 2016, in the sleepy town of Palakkad, jointly by the District Library. Palakkad and the WPM. Mr. T.R.Ajayan (for the Library) and Ra Sh and Niranjan TG, poets, (for the WPM), acted as the facilitators. The programme was inaugurated by Mr. Radhakrishnan Nair, art critic. Mr. T.R. Ajayan presided.The programme was well attended by over 50 people in the audience. 16 poets recited their own poems or translations. Beginning the proceedings, Ra Sh explained briefly the history and mission of the WPM and how its network now operates in more than hundred countries with thousand plus poets participating. He explained the importance of the Day and how it was enhanced by the choice of the theme `Refugees.’ He also explained how, apart from the cities, a small town like Palakkad has found a place on the map of WPM, thanks to Rati Saxena and Kritya.
Anvar Ali recited his own poem addressed to a Palestine Refugee titled Naila Omar. P. Raman presented the Malayalam translation of Arabian poet Zadi Yousef’s six poems. P.N. Gopi Krishnan presented translations of two poems by Basil Fernando, a Sri Lankan poet. Ra Sh presented his translation of the poem Borders Away by Bengali writer Sahana Mukherji dedicated to Agha Shahid Ali, the famous refugee poet from Kashmir known for his poem `A Country without a post office.’ Following this, the poets Jyothibai Paryadath, Subhadra Satheeshan, M.P.Pavithra, Indu N.R, Sushama Bindu, Jayakrishnan Vallappuzha, Murali Mankara, Rajesh Nanniyangode, Shankuntala, Ajith and Thiagarajan recited their own poems.
* * *
5. Kritya organized a poetry reading with a difference – street poetry
A poetry reading on the occasion of world poetry day and international day against racism was held at Manaveeyam Vedhi , Vellayalmbalam. The theme was REFUGEE. It was organized by Kritya Trust headed by Dr.Rati Saxena. Poets in Malayalam ,English and Hindi read their poems.
Acclaimed folk artist Jayachandran Kadambanad graced the occasion with his lyrical rendering of Tagore’s songs and some iconic poems of Kadaminatta Ramakrishnan like the “barbarian” and “The Tribal woman”. His lyrical recital laced with the green of the vernacular did strike a chord with the audience. He runs a band of folk artists touring the state of Kerala in rhyme and rhythm.
Some of other poets were –Dr.Sigma GR,Sarala Ramkamal, Chandramohan S and others.